BENT hosts an impressive concert featuring renowned Chicago composer Max Janowski in February of 1957 and Cantor Norton Siegel arrives in August 1959. The peak of BENT membership — 1,030 membership units (about 3,000 members) in 1962. Rabbi Swichkow of BENT co-authors “The History of the Jews of Milwaukee” with…
Beth El organized its formal choir in 1948. Beth El added “Ner Tamid” (Eternal Light) to the name of the congregation in 1949, and Beth El Ner Tamid dedicated the synagogue building on Sherman Boulevard in 1951.
Renowned Cantor Richard Tucker participated in Congregation Beth Israel High Holiday services for two years.
Beth Israel Red Cross Chapter organized to roll bandages and knit clothing.
Beth Israel institutes High Holiday Services with English in sermons and liturgy, also mixed seating of men, women, and families together is now permitted. Beth El hires Rabbi Lewis J. Swichkow in 1937. He remained Beth El’s spiritual leader for nearly a half-century, until his retirement in 1985.
Construction and dedication of Beth Israel’s new Teutonia Avenue synagogue. Rabbi Max J. Mintz instrumental in launching new youth-oriented programs at Beth Israel. Men’s Club organized, Jack Heimovit, first president.
Beth El is founded as the first Conservative synagogue in Wisconsin, consisting of 70 families. The cornerstone was laid at Beth El’s first building at Garfield and 49thSt in 1923.
Ladies Auxiliary Society of Congregation Beth Israel organized to replace Eva’s Sisters successor to Daughters of Eva. Leah Epstein first president.
Beth Hamedrash Hagadol declares bankruptcy in 1900, the bank forecloses on synagogue property. In 1901 the congregation reorganized, formed Congregation Beth Israel, reacquired the Fifth Street synagogue building, and in 1902 Rabbi Scheinfeld returned from Kentucky to take Beth Israel pulpit.
Moses Montefiore and Anshe Jacob acquired adjoining lots of land in the Town of Greenfield for a burial place, which became known as “Second Home Cemetery” in 1890. Congregation Beth Hamidrosh Hagadol organized in 1892 by the rejoining and consolidation of Anshe Jacob with Moses Montefiori Gemeinde at 462 Fifth…